A clean jobsite with everything in its place is a safer job site. Good housekeeping improves every aspect of working including safety. It is easier to perform your work if you are not climbing over debris or always looking for misplaced materials or tools. Housekeeping completed once a week will not do the trick. Each individual has the responsibility to clean their work areas as they go.
Poor housekeeping can lead to many safety hazards including slips, trips and fall, punctures, falling debris, laceration, electric shock, rodents and chemical hazards just to name a few.
- Clean your work area as you work. Don’t let trash accumulate.
- Areas shall be kept in a sanitary condition.
- Floors shall be kept clear and dry.
- Areas shall be free of loose boards, hole, protruding nails and splinters.
- All extension cords, hoses, equipment, materials, debris, etc. shall be place out of walkways and off stairs.
- Waste, trash, oily and used rags and other refuse shall be separated in provided containers.
- Waste containers holding garbage, oily, flammable or hazardous waste shall be covered.
- Garbage and other waste shall be disposed of at frequent regular intervals.
- Materials that could become airborne shall be secured. This includes aluminum sheets or rolled, aluminum scraps, boxes or plywood.
- Always return tools and equipment to proper storage location once you are finished with them. This makes it easier to find them and reduces the risk of them being damaged.
- Food packaging or food scraps shall be placed in waste containers. Not just thrown on the floor.
- Never run or leave extension cord near heat or water.
- Do not stack boxes or materials where they can become unstable and fall.
- All containers must be label as to their contents.
- When you see a hazard, correct it if possible. If you cannot correct it, report it to your supervisor. Don’t wait for someone else to do it.
We have all seen or been on jobs where you must pay close attention to where you are stepping due to poor housekeeping. Make your job a safer job by performing good housekeeping.